Thank you for my sponsors!

Thanks so much for sponsoring me in this year’s Harbor to the Bay ride.  The weather was a bit of a challenge, the course was long, but I’m happy to say I turned in a good time for on the 125 mile course.  I finished in just under nine hours.

The day was windy, damp, and cool.  There was a lot of debris on the road from Tropical Storm Jose.  I ended up taking my heavy duty touring bike rather than my old racing bike since the former has fenders that go a long way in keeping me dry and stop that spray of road grit from covering me.


A few fun/funny vignettes from the day:

A shard of metal punctured my rear tire just shy of the second pit stop.  A support vehicle with a couple of our outstanding all volunteer crew stopped to help me.  They offered to drive me the mile and a half to the pit where a local bike shop had donated its services.  I think from my expression I looked like they might have offered to drive me the remaining 100 miles to the finish (honestly, I politely declined).  My whacky personal code of cycling honor dictates that every inch of the ride must be done in the saddle under your own power.  Please rest assured I extracted the metal from my Kevlar belted tire, swapped out my tube, and continued to pedal the entire course.


I rode half the day with my good friend Andi.  We spent the day together from the bridge to the finish.  One of the great things about cycling is meeting people and having the time to talk to friends over the course of the many hours you spend in the saddle.  Yes, a lot of the conversation is yelling “what was that?  I didn’t hear you!”  And you can wind up the next day being kind of hoarse from yelling.  Not only was it great catching up with Andi, she’s also someone I can trust implicitly while we ride together to call out obstacles and pick the best line on the road to ride on.


Stopping at the wonderful PB Boulangerie at the end of the bike path in Wellfleet.  I skipped the official pit and stopped at this café for a heavily sugared double espresso and a croissant, which I shared with Andi.  I also flagged down a new rider, Will, who I had met on a training ride earlier in the summer.  Sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the patio while enjoying the sugar and caffeine was a sublime experience.  Especially as I got to cheer on other H2B riders as they went by.   Bicycling makes everything better.  After 110 windy and damp miles that was the best croissant and espresso I’ve ever had in my whole life, I guarantee you.


We spent most of the day in the fog.  No, literally, it was pretty foggy.  This did make our arrival in Provincetown slightly less magical than normal.  Usually cresting the last hill in Truro you get a wonderful view of Provincetown.  I can’t describe how I feel when I see that after having spent the whole day bicycling to get there.  Sadly, with the fog, I didn’t get that view this year (it’s OK, it’s still there).  Andi and I rolled into town going through Beach Point, the narrow strip of land by Pilgrim Lake before the Truro/Provincetown town line.  It feels like Beach Point just gets longer every year!   We were chatting and suddenly I realized.  We’re there.  We take that turn and the finish line is going to be there.


And there it was.  Arms raised in the air I saw my family, crew members, and lots of other people at the finish.

So, I completed my eighth Harbor to the Bay Ride.  That’s 1,000 miles I’ve biked on this ride.  It’s such an honor to be associated with a group of people who volunteer so much time to make sure that 100% of the money we raise goes to the beneficiaries.


Thank you again for sponsoring me.  I hope you feel like part of this experience, because you really are.  Looking forward to doing this ride for the ninth time next year – and the year after until there’s a cure.


Best Regards,



No comments yet.

Leave a Reply